What is a press release?
A press release is a piece of news sent to publishers of printed or online titles for possible use within their ‘space’. The good news is that a press release can gain free, credible exposure for your business. In fact, it’s a free tool that absolutely any business can use.
How do I write a press release?
We suggest writing notes against these open questions – it’s our starting point every time:
As with any marketing tool, always bear in mind who you are writing for, and what you want to say about your business.
Where do I send my press release?
Think about your target audience. You want to publish interesting news to them. So do the journalists… so help them do their job! Select the titles and websites that your target customers read or visit. If in doubt, research your market. Avoid the trap of placing your news in trade press for your competitors – not your potential clients – to see.
Top Tips for press releases:
- Include quotes – it brings your piece to life.
- Send images – pictures catch the eye and therefore attention.
- Remember there is never guaranteed coverage or copy control.
- Don’t be bullied into advertising. A credible press release doesn’t need it.
- Forget a sales pitch – it simply won’t get published.